I'm on a mission! I want to improve my drawing speed. Its not happening organically, at least not to the degree I want it to so I'm stepping in. My goal is to go full time with my illustration work and speed is something that I'll need to improve to get there. So I'm gradually trying to trade out my idle moments with more sketching, just fast, unpolished, quick sketches (I have an overwhelming compulsion to keep working a piece in search of perfection, its rather unhealthy). So lately I've been drawing while spending time with family and while sitting in cafes. Its been difficult for me as I'm weirdly insecure about drawing in front of other people. Its silly but it just makes me uncomfortable and feels like a lot of pressure. I just keep telling myself no one is looking, no one cares and that it doesn't matter but insecurities are hard to crush. So far I'm doing all right. I still feel uncomfortable and I'm not sketching as frequently as I could but its a start.
Whats in my little on-the-go sketch set?
- Muse A6 FO-HOMO sketchbook (I picked this up when I was in Japan and it has been tucked away in a drawer being forgotten about so I thought Id put it to work)
- Pilot Colour ENO mechanical pencil 0.7 with the pink lead (super smooth lead and the nicest shade of pink)
- Delfonics mechanical pencil 0.5 with 2B lead (this ones my old faithful, I use it for everything and drag it everywhere)
- Staedtler triplus fineliner in grey (good for lines but not great with blocking in and doesnt work great with the paper in this sketchbook so I might kick it out and just keep it for my notebooks)
- Tombow retractable eraser (because retractable erasers are the best)
I'm going to try hard to keep up with this and post more pics. Hopefully these little sketch sessions will help me to get faster with my illustrations and to be more comfortable drawing around others. Id love to find a life drawing group nearby (I'm on the Sunshine Coast at the moment), its been too long since Ive been to one and I used to find them enjoyable and challenging, its also nice to spend time around other creatives and I really miss that.
See you back here soon ●‿●